Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Panchatantra - Story 11a

STORY NO. 11 a. THE SWAN AND THE OWL



In a certain forest, there was a vast lake. A swan lived in that lake and spent his days happily, sailing on the sunny waters and eating all kinds of delicious food One day, an owl went to that place. The swan asked him, " Where do you come from and why did you come to this lonely place ?" The owl replied: " I come from Lotus Grove on the banks of another delightful like lake this. I came here on hearing about your innumerable virtue. They say that contact with the virtuous will take away all sin, like a bath in the Ganges washing away all sin. So I want to dwell with you for some time and purify myself." 

"Live here as long as you like," said the swan, pleased at this flattery. The owl did so, and the two spent several days happily with each other. Then the owl left for its own place, telling the swan, "If you feel any affection for me, you must visit me and be my guest " Some days after the owl left, the swan said to him self "Why not I have a change. I shall go and visit my friend, the owl, and see new places and eat new food." So he went, to Lotus Grove one fine morning. But he could not see the owl. He searched for him and found him sleeping in a ugly hole inside a mountain cave. He called out to him, " My dear friend, come out. I am your friend, the swan, come to pay you a visit." The owl replied, " You know I can't see by day and so cannot stir out during the day. We shall meet after the sun has set and the night has come." So, the swan waited till the night came. The owl then went to him and both exchanged notes about each other's health. Then the swan, being tired out and it being night, slept outside the cave. 

A caravan had halted by the side of that lake for that night. At dawn it proceeded to resume its journey. A conch was sounded to wake up all the members. Startled by it, the owl uttered a loud hard hoot and promptly went into its hole inside the cave. The swan remained at its place outside the cave. The owl's hoot, an evil omen, so disturbed the members of the caravan, that the leader directed an expert archer, accompanying the caravan, to shoot by sound the animal which had uttered the in- auspicious hoot . The archer did so and killed the swan, which thus paid the penalty for making friends with the unsuitable owl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment