Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Panchatantra - Story 12a

STORY NO. 12a. THE LION AND THE CARPENTER


In a certain city close to a forest, there lived a carpenter. He used to go into the forest, taking his wife and lunch with him, and cut logs. In that forest there lived a lion with a jackal and a crow as his fast friends. One day, the lion, going alone, met the the carpenter. The carpenter was frightened to death. But he resolved to use good words and a gift and save his life. So, he bowed low to the lion and said to it, " Friend, you must eat the dinner which my wife, your brother's wife has- cooked for you and brought here." 

" My good fellow," said the lion, deeply touched by this unexpected hospitality' "I do not eat vegetarian food. But, still, I shall taste it, as I am moved by your offer and have come to like you." The carpenter then gave the lion his lunch which consisted of all kinds of dainties- prepared with rice, sugar, butter and spice. The lion ate the lum h with relish. In order to show his gratitude, he promised absolute safety to the carpenter while working in the forest. The carpenter, in his turn, was pleased with this and told the lion, " Come here every day and lunch with us. But, please do not bring any of your retainers." The lion agreed. He got such a nice lunch every day that he gave up the practice of hunting. The jackal and the crow, who lived on the leavings of the lion s catch, became extremely hungry because of the lion's leaving off hunting. Then asked him, "where are you going every day and returning with a full belly and your face wreathed with smiles?"

The lion evaded at first but finally told them, "A carpenter friend of mine comes to this forest every day. His wife cooks the most delicious things and offers them to me." The jackal and the crow then said, " What, the wretch is making you a vegetarian and desist from hunting. You will soon become, like a dog, his servant, instead of remaining the king of beasts. We two will go and kill that wretched carpenter, and have enough meat to keep us fat for a long time." The lion said, *' Look here, I guaranteed his safety. I cannot allow you to kill him. But I shall get some delicious food from him for you also. Come along with me." 

So, the three started for the place where the carpenter was working. The carpenter espied them from a distance and he and his wife promptly climbed up a tree. The lion went up to the tree and said, "My dear fellow, why have you climbed up the tree ? I am your friend, the lion. Surely you are not afraid of me. But the carpenter and his wife stayed where they were and the carpenter replied: " You may be right. But the sight of your friends has terrified us. The hungry mouth of the jackal and the open beak of the crow are not reassuring. Your friends may turn you against me. So I will not come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment